This 1906 three-story brick commercial building is listed on the State Historical Resources Inventory. The original ground floor facade maintained a strong retail dialogue with the street until the corner storefront was closed-up in the 1970s. Our goal was to open it up to the street in a manner similar to the original facade design. We worked with the original structure grid, clerestory height, header and bulkhead to achieve the task and keep costs lower. A navy, forest green, yellow and regimental red color scheme was chosen to enhance the existing tan brick. The “Gothic” sign design was inspired by the store’s products. This project won the 1997 Berkeley Architectural Heritage Association Award.